If you’ve ever had an ear infection, you know that it’s not fun. Ear infections can be very painful, and are not as common in adults as they are in children and infants.
Ear infections are commonly caused by pressure change in the ear typically caused by direct injury. Swimming may also be a cause of an infection if water gets into the inner ear canal. Heredity can also be a cause, as some people are predispositioned to developing ear infections.
You may have an ear infection instead of just an ear ache if you are experienced persistent symptoms such as those below:
- Pain in the ear
- Feeling of fullness in the ear
- Trouble hearing
- Discharge from the ear
If you know that you are prone to ear infections, you will want to include plenty of Vitamin C, onion, ginger, and garlic in your diet. You will also want to avoid bananas, watermelons, papayas, and cucumbers because these foods can increase you chance of developing a common cold, which can instigate an ear problem.
- Put a few drops of garlic juice or garlic oil in the problem ear, and then use a blow dryer to dry out the water trapped in the Eustachian tube. Have the blow dryer about 12 to 15 inches from your head.
- Grate a clove of fresh garlic and an onion, add a little bit of Olive oil to the mix, and simmer it on a low flame. Then add a few drops of lemon juice in it and pour the mixture through a piece of cheesecloth to extract the juice. Pour about 2 to 3 drops into the infected ear and cover it with a cotton ball.
- Take 2 cloves of garlic and remove the skin. Heat both cloves with 2 spoons of mustard oil on a low flame. When garlic turns black take the mix off the heat and sieve the contents to extract the juice. When the oil cools to about a lukewarm temperature, us a cotton ball and put about 2 to 4 drops in the ear.
- Boil 3 to 4 cloves of garlic in water. Mash the cloves and add a dsah of salt. Wrap the mix in a woolen cloth and place on the hurt ear.
- Make a poultice of onions by spreading the onions on a cloth and placing it over the infected ear. This should ease the ache in about 10 minutes.
- Extract the juice from an onion and warm it. Put about 2 to 3 drops of the onion juice in the infected ear.
- Fill a sock with salt and heat it until it’s warm. Lay your head on the sock to drain the fluid out of the ear.
- Press a warm bottle of salt water or a warm bag of salt against the ear to ease the pain.
- Microwave a cup of salt for about 2 to 3 minutes. Put the salt in a sock and put on the hurt ear to reduce pain and swelling.
Tea tree oil
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil in the infected ear to relieve the earache.
- Put a few drops of sweet oil in the infected ear and then place a cotton ball in the ear opening to ensure that the oil doesn’t come out. In about 5 to 10 minutes, lie on the other side and do the same thing to the other ear.
- Mix ajwain oil and sesame oil in about a 1:3 ratio. Put the mixture on a low flame and warm. Put 4 drops of oil in the infected ear and place a cotton ball at the ear opening.
- Take powdered fenugreek seeds and put in 1/2 cup of milk. Mix thoroughly and put a few drops in the ear.
- Neem will help kill bacteria that causes an ear infection. Pour the juice from the neem leaves or Neem oil in the ear.
- Dip the root of bael in neem oil to make it soft, and then allow the oil drip off the root into the ear.
- Mix white vinegar and water in equal amounts, and then drop a few drops into the ear. Leave it in for at least a half an hour and in about 5 to 6 hours, you’ll see results.
- Mix white vinegar with rubbing alcohol in equal amounts, and follow the same directs as when mixing with water.
- Microwave a cup of rice for 1 minute and pour in a sock. Put the sock over the infected ear to take away the pressure.
- Extract the juice from holy basil leaves or use holy basil oil and put a few drops in the infected ear to help give relief from the infection and pain
- Put 2 to 3 drops of olive oil in the ear.
- Put a few drops of extract in the ear and rub it gently.
- Put a few drops of peroxide in the ear.
- Take about 4 ounces of orange juice and add a dropper full of Echinacea tincture and 3 drops of Grapefruit seed extract. Drop a few drops in the ear three times a day to relieve infection
Vitamin C and zinc
- Take Vitamin C supplements to boost the immune system.
- Zinc reduces ear infections.
Note: Please be aware that the advice in this article should in no way replace that of a licensed physician. If you think that you might have an ear infection, you want to consult your doctor so that you can get diagnosis and treatment.