Did you know that the oral health is of utmost importance for the overall health? Taking care of the mouth, teeth, gums, and the oral health in general can help prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath. In addition, a healthy mouth helps protect against other medical disorders, such as stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and preterm labor.
On the other hand, poor oral hygiene is detrimental for the overall health, as the mouth can be an infection source if left untreated. There are more than 500 species of bacteria in the mouth which form dental plaque, leading to infections like gingivitis, periodontitis, and trench mouth.
Apart from brushing and flossing, using a mouthwash is yet another crucial part of oral hygiene. It helps remove plaque, reaching and combating the bacterial that couldn’t be otherwise reached with brushing. At the same time, it leaves the mouth thoroughly cleaned and the breath freshened.
These are the advantages of using a homemade mouthwash:
- It is inexpensive- You can make your own homemade mouthwash and still get marvelous effects.
- You control the ingredients: You can remove tartar with completely safe and natural ingredients.
- No Chemicals: Commercial mouthwash products are loaded with numerous additives like harmful chemicals, colorants, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and flavorings.
Today, we will reveal the recipe of an effective, inexpensive, homemade mouthwash, based on baking soda, which will help you remove tartar and get a white and healthy smile.
Sodium bicarbonate is definitely one of the most potent best cleansers and it can be used in various ways, including for maintaining oral hygiene.
It has powerful bleaching and stain removal properties, so it is often used for teeth brushing. Also, it has antibacterial capacity that eliminates tartar and microbes which are the cause of cavities and bad breath.
Homemade Mouthwash Recipe
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ cup hydrogen peroxide
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup cold water
- A toothbrush
- Mix the baking soda with the salt
- Soak the toothbrush in warm water ant then spread the mixture over
- Rub the teeth thoroughly, spit, and repeat the process
- Mix the hydrogen peroxide with warm water t create a mouthwash
- Swish solution in the mouth for a minute and then spit
- Use a toothpick to get rid of the tartar between the teeth
- Rinse with cold water
There are a few other tips on how to maintain a proper oral hygiene:
- Brush the teeth at least three times a day using a high-quality toothpaste
- Never swallow mouthwash as it might contain detrimental ingredients
- Eat more spicy foods which stimulate the production of saliva, which naturally neutralizes the oral cavity
- Consider doing oil pulling on a daily basis