Forget everything you think you know about detox. Our version is a relaxing, 7-day detox program. No fasting, no scary laxatives—just pure, natural, delicious food. Follow these suggestions and you’ll get yourself, your digestion—and maybe even your blood sugar and blood pressure—back on track.
Detox program for the next 7 days
1. Morning lemon juice: This is an oldie but a goodie to kick start the digestion and cleanse the system. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a cup of hot water. Drink first thing in the morning before breakfast.
2. Exercise: During detox aim to exercise for one hour daily. And not just any exercise – something that makes you pant and puff and raise a sweat like a spin class, jog along the beach, walking uphill, hot yoga or boxing. Vigorous exercise increases lymph flow and circulation to help sweat out toxins.
3. Raw foods: Aim to cut out the cooking process and eat mainly raw foods. Raw foods contain more nutrients and enzymes. Try adding fresh sprouts to a salad daily.
4. Detox the mind: While you’re detoxing the body, its good to clear the clutter from the mind too. Aim for 15 minutes of meditation per day. If you don’t know how to meditate, try belly breathing. Start by placing hands palm down on your lower belly. Breathe in through your nose, counting slowly to 3 or 4 counts. Feel your tummy rise with the breath. Breathe out just as slowly, allowing the belly to drop. Do this for 15 minutes daily.
5. Drink: Aim to drink three litres of fluid daily. This will help move the lymph and support kidney detoxification. Choose from pure spring water, fresh vegetable juice and herbal detox teas. Or make your own brew by mixing one or a combination of Dandelion root and nettle, cleavers, calendula, burdock and red clover. Add one teaspoon of the dried herbs to a cup of boiling water. Leave to steep for five minutes, strain and drink.
6. Body brushing: Doing this daily will support circulation and increase skin detoxification. Using a loofah or natural fibre body brush, brush the skin with firm circular strokes before you step into the shower. Start from the feet and hands, moving up the legs and towards the arms, avoiding the delicate area of throat and face, and any rash or sore spots. Then jump in the shower. Finish your shower with a one-minute burst cold water which brings the blood circulation to the skin.
7. Chew: Aim to chew each mouthful of food 10 to 12 times before swallowing. Bringing mindfulness to mealtimes improves digestion, allowing you to feel a sense of fullness without a need to overeat.
3 Ingredient Detox Remedy
Insomnia is a very common sleep disorder that affects people of all ages, especially the elderly. There are many causes of insomnia, but the main ones are lack of exercise, certain medications, anxiety, chronic illness and poor sleep habits.
Some people use sleep aids in an attempt to fall asleep. But, there is a natural remedy that works just as well or even better! It’s called “Golden Milk” and contains coconut milk, black pepper, turmeric, ginger and honey. And, in addition to helping you fall asleep, it can improve your health!
Why is it so good for you?
Benefits of the milk:
Turmeric is the main health-boosting ingredient in this milk. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin is a strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Studies have shown that turmeric can relieve the painful effects of many chronic illnesses, such as peripheral neuropathy, rheumatoid arthritis, and migraines. It’s also useful in treating the side-effects of stroke, cancer, and thyroid disease. It’s inexpensive and easy to find.
Other benefits of turmeric:
- Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial
- Kills cancer cells and stops tumor formation
- Maintains blood sugar levels
- Controls cholesterol
- Supports the cardiovascular system
- Promotes wound healing
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves mental clarity
- Organ detox
Benefits of coconut milk:
Coconut milk is very nutritious! It’s packed full of vitamins E, C, and B vitamins. It also contains the minerals calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium and phosphorous. It’s also lactose free so people who have a lactose intolerance are able to drink it without the nasty side effects of cow’s milk. The fat in coconut milk is a “good fat” that helps cholesterol levels stay low. And, since turmeric is fat soluble, the fat in coconut milk helps us better absorb turmeric’s amazing health benefits.
Benefits of ginger:
Besides tasting great, ginger has health benefits. Research has shown that ginger reduces pain and inflammation, lowers blood pressure, regulates insulin, is anti-microbial and soothes the digestive system.
Benefits of honey and black pepper:
Black pepper has anti-bacterial properties and can alleviate chest congestion caused by colds, flu, allergies and air pollution. And, honey not only sweetens the milk and makes it taste amazing, it has many health properties, including: anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, soothes ulcers, regulates blood sugar, prevents cancer and heart disease.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 piece sliced ginger
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Place all ingredients but the honey in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear. Reduce the heat and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, take out ginger and add the honey.